DogFriendly.com released its top 10 dog-friendly resort regions in the United States for 2010. The rankings are determined by the DogFriendly.com staff and take into account the quality of a complete dog-friendly vacation including accommodations, things to do with your dog, beaches, parks and dog-friendly patio dining.
1. Cape Cod, MA - Visit Cape Cod National Seashore. Pet-friendly ferries and beaches. Also Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard.
2. Black Hills, SD - Lots of pet-friendly attractions and camping. Visit a car museum with your dog. See Badlands National Park.
3. St. Augustine, FL - Dog-friendly shopping and dining. Take a boat cruise and a ghost tour. Visit the Fountain of Youth.
4. Carmel / Monterey, CA - Off-leash Carmel City Beach one of the nation's best. Many walking and hiking options. Shop and dine in luxury with your dog.
5. Colorado Springs, CO - Visit the Garden of the Gods Park and Seven Falls. Shop at the Promenade Shops at Briargate. Drive to the top of Pike's Peak.
6. Bar Harbor/Acadia, ME - Pet-friendly Acadia National Park. Shop and dine in downtown. Ride a number of cruises and take the local bus with your dog.
7. Virginia City, NV - Ride a 1800's train and a stagecoach ride. Walk the wooded sidewalks and shop in the old west.
8. Sedona/Grand Canyon, AZ - Many pet-friendly resorts in Sedona. Take a Jeep tour and shop downtown. Hike the rim of the Grand Canyon a few hours away.
9. Mendocino, CA - Stay in a pet-friendly B&B. Walk the quaint seaside town. Go to the beach and dine outdoors.
10. Chattanooga, TN -Walk Rock City Gardens with your dog. Visit Ruby Falls. Shop and dine in downtown.
Honorable mentions included Amarillo, TX; Medora, ND; Outer Banks, NC; Santa Fe, NM; and Yellowstone/Grand Teton, WY.