An overwhelming majority of young business travelers – 73 percent – have a better travel experience when they spend free time on their own, according to a new survey from Hilton Hotels & Resorts. The company conducted a 15-minute online survey among a nationally representative sample of over 1,200 U.S. travelers ages 23 – 25 on what they want out of business travel.
Hilton says that, according to the survey, young business travelers prefer a buzzing social environment and in-person interactions during regular work hours, but they would rather spend their evenings on their own. Eighty-four percent of young business travelers in the survey said that they cherish their alone time during business trips and nearly three-fourths (73%) said that they have a better experience when they spend downtime on their own. When asked how this group prefers to spend their free time, results included:
- Eating at local restaurants (69%)
- Exploring the city and/or neighborhood (59%)
- Sleeping or relaxing (56%)
- Working out (35%)
- Attending a happy hour (38%) or unwinding at the lobby/hotel bar (32%)
In looking at preferred work styles while traveling for business, findings were consistent with Hilton’s 2018 survey results with 81 percent of respondents believing that they can get more done in-person, the company said. Findings also underscore how their workspace – whether that’s a formal meeting room or multi-functional common space – plays a key role in spurring creativity, encouraging collaboration and ultimately contributing to positive outcomes. Key findings include:
- Bustling Environment: Two-thirds of respondents (63%) are more inspired in a busy, social environment when they are working alone/independently
- Natural Light: 92 percent prefer natural light/windows in a meeting space
- Colorful Spaces: 80 percent prefer a colorful meeting space with elements inspired by their surroundings
- Intuitive Technology: 82 percent prefer a meeting space with advanced, intuitive technology beyond Wi-Fi
The survey was fielded by Edelman Intelligence from June 4-7, 2019.