Expanding its luxury river cruise portfolio, Butterfield & Robinson has announced the addition of Rhine River Cruise Biking. Departing from Basel, Switzerland, with port stops through France and Germany, the eight-day trip explores terraced wine regions, medieval castles and UNESCO World Heritage Sites along 1,000 kilometres of historical river bends and bike trails. Rhine River Cruise Biking is the latest in a partnership between B&R and Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection.
The newly announced biking tour also complements B&R and Uniworld itineraries along the Danube and Rhône rivers, launched earlier in 2016. Daily biking excursions will lead travelers through the Black Forest and Wiese Valley in Germany, along the river to Obernai and Strasbourg and to the foothills of the Vosges Mountains in France.
Rhine River Cruise Biking Highlights
- Explore Germany’s Black Forest and Wiese Valley, as well as France’s Alsatian wine country by bike within the first two days. Both days offer hillier routes, while the latter has rewarding views of the Vosges foothills.
- Ride an uphill loop to the panoramic Chapelle des Larmes on Mount St-Odile in Obernai, enjoy a glass of locally-brewed Kronenbourg in Strasbourg, and see the famous Notre-Dame cathedral.
- Following a quick visit to Johannisberg Castle and its winery, cyclists have the choice of embarking on a 106 km Century Ride along a flat riverside lane from Rüdesheim to Boppard.
- Recreational: Much of the riding on this trip will be on the flat Rhine biking path, however hillier routes may present challenges
- Daily cycling options are available for travelers, including more casual downhill and riverside routes
- Guests will spend seven nights aboard Uniworld’s S.S. Antoinette in a stateroom of their choosing
- The eight-day/seven-night Rhine River Cruise Biking tour runs in May, June and September 2018, from US $6,995, with single supplements starting at US $1,700