Norwegian Cruise Line has announced it will continue to operate its cruises to Havana, Cuba, as scheduled, following Friday’s new Cuba travel warning from the U.S. State Department.
“There have been no reported incidents involving tourists or other cruise ship passengers,” Norwegian wrote in a statement on its website. “Reported incidents have been isolated to diplomats and government officials residing on the island.”
Norwegian also said that it has thoroughly evaluated its shore excursion and tour locations, none of which are owned or operated by the military. The visa issuing process for Norwegian guests will remain the same.
“We continue to believe that the best way to travel to Cuba is via cruise ship and look forward to continuing to offer our guests the opportunity to explore Cuba’s beauty, culture and friendly people,” the cruise line said.
Last week the State Department issued a new travel warning for Cuba, citing a series of sonic attacks against State Department employees that have led to hearing loss, dizziness, headache, fatigue, cognitive issues and difficulty sleeping. The attacks occurred both in U.S. diplomatic residences and hotels frequented by U.S. citizens.
Because the State Department has been unable to identify the source of the attacks, it has ordered the departure of all nonemergency U.S. government employees and their family members. As a result, the embassy will be limited to providing emergency assistance only to U.S. travelers.
Travelers can still contact the embassy for emergency assistance at +(53)(7) 839-4100 or the Department of State at 1-202-501-4444.