Oceania Cruises has introduced 16 new cooking classes for the 2018 European season aboard the 1,250-guest Marina and Riviera. The new programs were developed by longtime Director of Culinary Enrichment Chef Kathryn Kelly, and will debut with the first sailings in Europe of the year this April and May.
“In The Culinary Center, guests cook under the instruction of faculty members who are experienced chefs and restaurateurs who have apprenticed under a who’s who of renowned chefs,” said Chef Kelly in a written statement. “We continue to add new classes to keep things fresh for our repeat guests.”
New and Noteworthy Highlights
- Slice: Mastering Chef Knife Skills: In partnership with the Zwilling Company, makers of the J.A. Henckels knives, Oceania Cruises has developed what it says it one of its top guest-requested classes – a comprehensive knife skills class. Participants will get a chef’s look at a complete pantry of knives and enjoy the chance to try out a few chef knives to discover the best option for them. They’ll also learn how to sharpen and maintain this essential kitchen tool, practice various knife cuts and discover how to safely use the mandolin slicer – Chef Jacques Pépin’s favorite kitchen tool. At the conclusion of the class, all participants will receive a special Knife Skills certificate, along with a savings voucher for Zwilling Company knives.
- Rethink the Crêpe: While most people may think of the crêpe as French cuisine, this little envelope of love is popular everywhere and enjoyed in many variations the world over. From authentic buckwheat galettes to sweet crêpes Suzette, the recipes in this class will run the gamut from Sweet to savory, and everything in between.
- The Nordic Kitchen: Participants will explore the cuisine of Scandinavia and Northern Europe as they take a culinary voyage around the Baltic. There will be the chance to learn about regional specialties such as Estonian fish soup, Nordic salmon rillettes, gravlax cured in the traditional Scandinavian spirit and hearty meatballs with a Swedish flair.
Full Roster of Classes
- Pucker Up – Celebrating the diversity and splendor of lemons in Mediterranean cooking
- Ancient Cuisines – showcasing the magical dishes of Morocco and Turkey
- All Things Roman – Celebrating the greatest dishes of the ancient Roman Empire
- Brunch Comforts – Classic brunch dishes and entertaining tips
- Cooking Fresh – Healthy, fresh, and flavorful dishes including Canyon Ranch Spa Cuisine favorites
- Essential Pasta – The fundamentals of pasta preparation, cookery, and sauces
- Greek Tonight – Our faculty’s favorite recipes from Santorini, Rhodes, Crete, Corfu, and Athens
- Grill School – Grilling is more than technique, it’s an art form
- If it Swims – Mastering the basics of fish cookery: searing, baking, shallow-poaching, deep-poaching, and curing
- In the Kitchen with Jacques – Celebrating the glorious career of our Executive Culinary Director and world-renowned Master Chef through knife skills, the secrets of emulsion, and a selection of Jacques’ favorite dishes from his sixty-year career
- Most Requested Red Ginger – Mastering the skills and most popular recipes from the line's Asian restaurant
- The Sicilian Kitchen – A celebration of pasta, fish, and rice dishes from the home kitchens of our faculty and crew
- Viva Espana – Spanish cuisine has helped transform the culinary world and this class showcases traditional tapax and pintxos along with new and modern favorites