The tourism authority of Japan’s Setouchi region and independent travel specialist Avanti Destinations are collaborating to unveil an educational e-brochure for travel agents highlighting 3,000 islands, shrines, castles, historic towns, gardens, contemporary art, and cycling routes.
The new 16-page e-brochure, Japan’s Setouchi Region; The Call of the Inland Sea, is available on Avanti’s agent portal and features a new seven-day/six-night customizable FIT package, “Secrets of the Inland Sea,” that takes clients to Hiroshima, Okayama and Kyoto. The e-brochure also highlights six tours and experiences that can be added to a stay in Hiroshima. It can be downloaded and forwarded to clients.
New Customizable Package: Secrets of the Inland Sea
Private guides are included on all tours and excursions in the new seven-day Secrets of the Inland Sea customizable package. All arrival and departure transfers are private, and transportation between cities is by Green Class (first class) rail. Overnights are in Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Okayama.
Highlights are private tours of: Kyoto; Hiroshima’s Peace Memorial Park, dedicated to those who lost their lives in the 1945 atomic bombing attack – just re-opened after an eight-year refurbishment; the small island of Miyajima, home of Japan’s most photographed site - and a UNESCO World Heritage Site - the red torii gate of the Itsukushima Shrine that appears to float at high tide; the seaside town of Tomonoura with its lighthouse and Fukuzenji Temple.
Six New Add-on Tours and Excursions From Hiroshima
Agents can book a city stay in Hiroshima and add on any of the following new tours and excursions, all with private guides:
- Private Hiroshima tour (4 hours) – Visit the just-reopened Peace Memorial Park and Garden, along with the Shukkei-En Garden—going as far back as 1620. The latter was created to show a reduced version of different landscapes and natural formations.
- Private Mazda Museum (4 hours) – Clients can understand the backstory of the Hiroshima-based car manufacturer and witness how a car is assembled on the factory floor.
- Private Kurashiki Villages Excursion (8 hours) –Kurashiki was a busy port during the Edo period. Traverse down the narrow stone-paved streets of the Bikan Historical Quarter with its canal and 17th century storehouses. The village is one hour by bullet train from Hiroshima.
- Private Naoshima Art Island Excursion (10 hours) – Clients travel by train and ferry to this seascape. Abandoned workshops and shrines have been molded into a center for contemporary art and architecture. The Art House Project, Chichu Art Museum, and Benesse House Museum are all on the itinerary.
- Miyajima Torii Gate (4 hours, morning departure)- Home of the floating red torii gate UNESCO World Heritage Site. The shrine that the torii is part of was first built in the 6th century. The present structure, however, dates to the 12th century. Clients can visit many other shrines and temples on this sacred island during this tour.
- Overnight in Miyajima – Clients stay in the 30-room Iwaso ryokan hotel with tatami mats, traditional Japanese bedding and chance to experience a natural hot spring onsen and other wellness services. The hotel is a 5-minute walk from the shrine. From there, guests can see the Inland Sea and one of Japan’s maple tree parks.
For more information on travel to Japan or to book custom-crafted, multi-destination FIT travel 365 days a year in Asia, Europe, or Central and South America, log onto the agent portal https://book.avantidestinations.com or call 1-800-422-5053 to speak with a travel specialist.