Massive protests in San Juan, Puerto Rico, have worked. Wednesday night, Governor Ricardo Rosselló announced his resignation, The New York Times reports. A combination of the protests and looming impeachment proceedings resulted in Governor Rosselló naming August 2 as his last day in the role.
Despite the protests, Discover Puerto Rico previously told Travel Agent “we can confirm that the Island remains open for business.” Now, the destination marketing organization is telling us that the island remains on track to achieve a record-breaking year for tourism in 2019. “We are encouraged by the accounts of many travelers who arrived on the Island during the last two weeks to enjoy the Island’s gastronomy, attractions and cultural offerings, and we are welcoming new travelers each day,” Discover Puerto Rico said in a statement to Travel Agent.
For those heading to the island, Discover Puerto Rico says it continues to work with tourism partners to keep travelers up-to-date with the latest information to have an enjoyable and safe time while in Puerto Rico. It adds that visitors should take the same general safety precautions as in any major U.S. city. As a U.S. territory, Puerto Rico is subject to all applicable federal laws and regulations.
Good to know: Flights, ports, hotels, airports, restaurants, shops, attractions and taxis are operating normally. Additionally, businesses that closed during protests have reopened, but given a strike is scheduled for today (July 25), travelers should check with area businesses and travel providers regarding operations and should allow additional time for travel.
During the protests, numerous cruises cancelled calls on the island, including Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean, MSC Cruises and Carnival Cruise Line.