Some streets in Lower Manhattan will remain closed Wednesday following a deadly terrorist attack in the area late Tuesday afternoon.
CBS New York reports that West Street will be closed southbound from 14th Street to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and northbound from the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to Canal Street. Southbound FDR Drive traffic must exit at Whitehall Street or be forced into the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. These closures are expected to remain in effect through at least the morning rush hour and possibly into the evening rush hour.
CNN reports that late Tuesday a 29-year-old man drove a truck into a crowd of bicyclists and pedestrians near the World Trade Center, killing eight people and injuring more than a dozen. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo told CNN that the suspect had been “radicalized domestically.”
“The evidence shows – and again, it’s only several hours, and the investigation is ongoing – but that after he came to the United States is when he started to become informed about ISIS and radical Islamic tactics,” Governor Cuomo said.
“Our hearts go out to the victims, friends and families impacted by yesterday’s horrific attack in New York,” said ASTA President and CEO Zane Kerby in a written release. “The city is a landmark destination for travelers from across the globe and we’re confident in the city’s resilience. We stand shoulder-to-shoulder with our New York members and the entire New York travel and tourism industry in supporting those who need our help during these difficult times.”
“We are deeply saddened by the terrible attack of October 31, and are thankful and reassured by the swift actions of the NYPD and first responders. Our deepest sympathies are with all the victims and their families. It is profoundly disheartening to learn of the five Argentineans and the Belgian who were among those who lost their lives, and other visitors who were injured or affected who were simply here to experience and enjoy this incredible city,” said Fred Dixon, president and CEO of NYC & Company, in a written release. “We condemn this senseless act of violence here and those in other destinations around the globe. We are a strong, united and resilient community. New York City remains a safe and welcoming destination for leisure visitors and meetings delegates, and we encourage travelers to continue with their plans here and elsewhere.”
ABC News reports that the suspect was shot in the abdomen by a police officer after he crashed into a school bus and exited his truck, brandishing a paintball gun and a pellet gun. He is expected to survive.
The attack took place on a bike path near West Houston Street on the West Side Highway, according to ABC News. The suspected drove south for about a mile before crashing into the bus near Chambers Street, across from Stuyvesant High School.
The area in which the attack took place is near several major downtown Manhattan tourist attractions, including the Observatory at One World Trade Center, the 9/11 Memorial and the 9/11 Museum, and Trinity Church.
The attack is similar to a number of vehicle attacks that have taken place in Europe over the past year. In August, a terrorist drove into a crowd on Las Ramblas in Barcelona, followed shortly by a related attack in Cambrils, Spain. Earlier this summer, a terrorist drove into a crowd of people on London Bridge.