Marriott International is set to officially join the sharing economy. Today, it announced Homes & Villas by Marriott International, a home-rental initiative offering 2,000 premium and luxury properties located in over 100 destinations throughout the United States, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. Starting next week, when the offering launches, members of Marriott Bonvoy will be able to earn and redeem points at these curated homes, providing a wider choice of accommodations to suit a range of travel needs.
Marriott ran a pilot program last year under the brand extension Tribute Portfolio Homes. Of the guests who booked a home during the pilot, which was only available in select European cities, nearly 90 percent were members of Marriott Bonvoy and over three-quarters were traveling for leisure with family and friends, Marriott reports. During the pilot, it adds, the average guest stay was more than triple the typical hotel stay.
Luxury & Premium Offerings
The introduction of Homes & Villas by Marriott International adds nearly 40 new leisure destinations for Marriott Bonvoy members to earn and redeem points, including Sorrento, Italy and the Amalfi Coast, Italy; North Lake Tahoe, CA; and St. Barth’s in the Caribbean. Examples of homes include:
- A four-bedroom cottage on six private acres of California wine country
- A six-bedroom villa in Sorrento, Italy with an infinity pool overlooking the Mediterranean Sea and a wood-fire pizza oven
- An oceanfront villa in Anguilla with private beach and a personal butler and house staff
- A 18th-century Irish Castle that sleeps 17 and has a private lake for boating and fishing
- A six-bedroom townhouse in London with a children’s playroom and climbing wall
Marriott is launching Homes & Villas by Marriott International with select property management companies that are already managing these homes. These property management companies provide guests a professionally cleaned home with 24/7 support, high speed Wi-Fi, premium linens and amenities, and family-friendly conveniences upon request. At launch, the property management companies selected by Marriott include TurnKey Vacation Rentals, LaCure, Loyd & Townsend Rose, Veeve and London Residents Club, as well as current hotel owners and operators like Mainsail Lodging and Reserva Conchal. Over time, Marriott expects to introduce Homes & Villas by Marriott International in additional markets and to increase the number of homes offered in these destinations.
How to Book
Starting next week, travelers can search and book homes on the Homes & Villas by Marriott International site, www.homesandvillasbymarriott.com. Additionally, those searching on marriott.com for accommodations for three-plus nights in markets where home inventory exists will see links to Homes & Villas by Marriott International. Marriott says it is in the process of determining how it will sell Homes & Villas by Marriott International through other channels, including the Marriott Bonvoy app and travel advisors, and will provide an update soon.
Members of Marriott Bonvoy—the new name of the travel program replacing Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards—will be able to earn and redeem points for every Homes & Villas by Marriott International stay. Just like with Marriott’s hotel brands, members will have a choice to pay with either cash or points when booking. Other benefits for loyalty members staying at Homes & Villas by Marriott International include:
- Members will earn points based on the same criteria as Marriott’s long stay hotel brands – 5 points for each $1 spent
- Members will be eligible for bonus points based on Elite status
- Eligible members will receive an Elite Welcome Gift of special amenities or points
- Members can use the points they earn on redemption stays at all participating hotels around the world, as well as experiences exclusively available on Marriott Bonvoy Moments.
Good to know: Marriott Bonvoy Moments will be available to those staying in the properties listed with Homes & Villas by Marriott International, as will Marriott Bonvoy Tours & Activities.
This story originally appeared on www.luxurytraveladvisor.com.