Proposals are an ever-growing reason to take a vacation -- but where are travelers looking to pop the question? New research from hitched.co.uk shows the top 10 landmarks to propose at around the world, according to the amount of proposal-related Instagram hashtags used. World-famous Disney parks and attractions dominate the top 10, along with more traditional landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower and The Hollywood Sign.
With an average of 80 million photos uploaded every single day, Instagram is one of the most popular online platforms for photo sharing. Image hashtags such as #bridetobe and #engaged along with geotagging have enabled hitched.co.uk to use the Instagram API to find out the most popular landmarks for Instagram users to get engaged.
Here are the top 10 landmarks around the world to propose at according to Instagram:
- Disneyland, Paris - one in 500 proposals
- Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom, Florida - one in 555 proposals
- Centennial Lakes Park, Minnesota - one in 625 proposals
- Eiffel Tower, Paris - one in 679 proposals take place
- The Hollywood Sign, Los Angeles - one in 1,000
- Central Park and Brooklyn Bridge, New York - in joint 6th place, one in 1,111
- Niagara Falls, Ontario - 1 in 1,250 proposals
- Walt Disney’s Epcot Park, Florida - one in 1,428 proposals
- Big Bear Lake, California - one in 1,666 proposals
- Bondi Beach, Sydney - one in 2,000 proposals
“The location is critical when you’re thinking about popping the question,” said Sarah Allard, editor of hitched.co.uk, in a written statement. “You'll be telling stories about it for the rest of your life, so it has to be romantic, it has to be memorable and, of course, you want to hear ‘Yes!’
“Our research bucks tradition and proves that people are being more creative than ever when it comes to choosing the location of their proposal. You might have expected to see the likes of Big Ben, The Empire State Building and The Coca-Cola London Eye in the top 10 list, but it was Disney parks that stole the show and came out as some of the most popular places to propose at around the world”.