New York City could be the worst area to fly through this hurricane season, according to a new report from InsureMyTrip. The travel insurance website analyzed the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) on-time performance data and found that all three of the airports serving the New York area -- Newark, LaGuardia and JFK -- had the worst performance during hurricane season, which officially runs from June 1 through November 30.
The findings dovetail with another recent study, which found that New York City area airports occupied three of the top four slots for summer flight delays.
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is ranked the best overall for handling delays and cancellations during hurricane season. It is also the busiest.
Newark Liberty International, LaGuardia, and John F. Kennedy International are ranked the worst overall for delays and cancellations during hurricane season. All three airports are twice as likely to report a weather delay than any other airport on the list.
Here is the full list of the top 25 busiest airports in the U.S. during hurricane season, ranked from the worst on-time performance to the best:
- Newark, NJ: Newark Liberty International
- New York, NY: LaGuardia
- New York, NY: John F. Kennedy International
- Houston, TX: George Bush Intercontinental/Houston
- Washington, DC: Ronald Reagan Washington National
- Dallas/Fort Worth, TX: Dallas/Fort Worth International
- Fort Lauderdale, FL: Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International
- Philadelphia, PA: Philadelphia International
- Boston, MA: Logan International
- Baltimore, MD: Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall
- Dallas, TX: Dallas Love Field
- Orlando, FL: Orlando International
- Houston, TX: William P Hobby
- Miami, FL: Miami International
- Washington, DC: Washington Dulles International
- Fort Myers, FL: Southwest Florida International
- Raleigh/Durham, NC: Raleigh-Durham International
- Austin, TX: Austin - Bergstrom International
- Tampa, FL: Tampa International
- Charlotte, NC: Charlotte Douglas International
- Pittsburgh, PA: Pittsburgh International
- Nashville, TN: Nashville International
- San Antonio, TX: San Antonio International
- New Orleans, LA: Louis Armstrong New Orleans International
- Atlanta, GA: Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International