For travelers looking to explore Roman history, Andante Travels is offering a tour of the seaside towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum—each buried by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 A.D.
On the eight-day Pompeii, Herculaneum & Classical Campania tour, travelers will be escorted by guides and lecturers who have performed excavations at Pompeii. Guests will learn about the latest archaeological discoveries and enjoy special access to sites not generally open to the public.
Highlights of the “Pompeii, Herculaneum & Classical Campania” tour include:
- An entire day in the city of Pompeii, visiting some of the best-preserved buildings, including theaters, forums, bathhouses and villas only recently re-opened to the public
- A tour of the preserved temples at Paestum, a thriving city once under the rule of ancient Greece
- Entrance to the National Archaeological Museum at Naples to view its collection of artifacts
- Special access to the cavernous Piscina Mirabilis at Misenum (a gigantic cistern that stored water for the Roman fleet and fed the towns of the Bay of Naples), usually closed to the public
- A visit to the Villa San Marco and Villa Arianna of Stabiae, an exclusive resort for wealthy Romans
- A visit the town of Herculaneum, a town which was buried to an even greater depth than Pompeii, with many of its ancient Roman houses still intact
- An ascension to the great volcanic crater of Vesuvius and enjoy an afternoon at the perfectly preserved villa of Oplontis
With select departure dates in April, May, September, October and November 2018, begins at $2,765 per person, double, and includes the assistance of an expert guide lecturer and tour manager, local travel provided by a private coach, all meals (except lunch at Pompeii) with wine at dinner, hotel accommodations, entry to all sites in program (tips included) and field notes.