With Valentine's Day almost here, Avanti Destinations is offering a number of new itineraries aimed at honeymooners and other travelers looking to take a romantic getaway. Increasingly, couples are choosing less traditional, more exotic destinations for their honeymoons, the agent-exclusive tour operator says.
“To create the ideal romantic trip, you first need to know your clients’ tastes”, said Harry Dalgaard, president and CEO of Avanti, in a written release. “Do they prefer the classically romantic – like Paris, a Tuscan wine villa, Santorini, Bali? Or something completely new and different – like Bolivia, Lapland, a castle in the Czech countryside, Tibet?
“While the classics are still strong sellers, we’ve seen a steady growth in bookings to less conventional destinations for romance travel. Generally, these clients have already seen the major destinations and want to share the experience of discovering something new. And often they want to visit several new destinations together,” said Dalgaard.
Private tours and transfers are something agents should consider when building their clients’ romantic vacations, Avanti said. More of the operator’s FIT bookings everywhere for all demographic types include private options, rather than shared tours and transfers. The company recommends basic itineraries that are designed to be customized by adding or subtracting destinations, room nights, and activities.
Here are some new ideas for romantic vacations:
- France - France in Style, 7 days, 6 nights in Paris and Nice with tours in both cities, Seine river cruise, dinner in Nice, 1st class rail between, and more. Starts at $1,549** per person, double occupancy.
- Greece – Splendors of Southern Peloponnese, 7 days, 6 nights in “the real Greece” of Athens, Nafplion and the coast where clients see the ruins of ancient castles, quaint seaside villages, beaches, and far fewer crowds than the popular spots. From $1,955. A visit to Greek islands can be added.
- Switzerland – Scenic Lakes of Italy & Switzerland, 5 days/4 nights in picturesque and elegant Como and Lugano. From $1,599.
- Italy – Follow the Wines/Villa Program allows agents and clients to piece together those winegrowing regions they prefer or are most curious about. Choose from Tuscany, Veneto, Piedmont and Puglia. Pick just one region (combined with a city stay perhaps) or combine two or three regions staying only in countryside villas in the middle of vineyards. Meet the producers, taste famous vintages and regional cuisine. 4 days, 3 nights including 4 days of car rental plus extras like 2 dinners and 2 wine tastings starts at $799 per person.
- Bolivia - Salt Flats in Deluxe Airstream – For the couple who wants to get away from it all. Explore the desolate, awe-inspiring Salt Flats in a private deluxe camper. Includes all ground transfers from La Paz, tours of Salt Lake & Isla Pescado, Tahua Village, hike to Coquesa Mummies, and all meals. 2 nights from $2,995. Combine with a stay in La Paz and excursion to Lake Titicaca.
- South American Triangle – 9 days/8 nights to see: the largest waterfall system in the world – thunderous Iguassu Falls, bordering Brazil and Argentina; Rio, birthplace of Bossa Nova music; and Buenos Aires, where clients can learn the tango. From $2,025.
- Bali – Beauty of Bali – 8 days/7 nights in romantic paradise. Includes private nature walk, private cooking class, Kecak dance & dinner tour, private arrivals/transfers in Ubud and South Bali. From $1,089.
- Tibet – Lhasa Highlights – for the truly adventurous couple, 4 days/3 nights in the capital of Tibet. Potala Palace, center of Tibetan Buddhism, had a romantic start: it was built in 637 AD by the Tibetan emperor for his new bride, a Chinese princess. Like all Avanti Asia products, this vacation features private local guides, tours and transfers. From $1,219. Make it a highlight of any custom Avanti itinerary in China or southeast Asia.
** Rates quoted are land-only per person, based on double occupancy and subject to change, based on availability and travel dates. For up-to-date prices and additional specifics, visit www.avantidestinations.com.