Every 10 years, the picturesque German town of Oberammergau re-enacts the Passion of Christ, in honor of an ancient promise. Better known as the Passion Play, this world-famous performance depicts the final days of Christ, from the Last Supper through the Crucifixion and Resurrection. It draws people from all over the world and is carried out by more than 1,500 residents of the town, who spend years planning and preparing.
In 2020, guests traveling on select Insight Vacations journeys through Germany and Italy will have a once-in-a-decade opportunity to experience this event.
Located 60 miles from Munich in an Alpine valley, Oberammergauhas been the home of the Passion Play since 1634, when bubonic plague struck the town. The villagers pledged to perform the ‘Play of the Suffering, Death and Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ’ every 10 years, if God spared the town from further devastation.
The 2020 performance will run from May through October, and will be performed five days a week in an open-air theatre that seats about 4,700 people. The show’s 16 acts last about five and a half hours and, in accordance with local law, all participants, including actors and choir members, must have been born in Oberammergau or have lived there for at least 20 years.
Guests will be able to take in this performance by traveling on the following Insight Vacations escorted journeys:
- Country Roads of Bavaria, Switzerland and Austria: Visit opulent palaces, expansive vineyards, and take in unbeatable views of the Swiss Alps
- Best of Germany: Discover Rothenburg and Nuremberg’s captivating old-world charm, Bavaria’s breathtaking mountain scenery and Dresden’s stunning baroque splendor
- Italian Elegance: Visit Italy’s picturesque towns, idyllic fishing villages, and historic and religious sites
- Road to Rome: Embark on a discovery journey through the iconic city of Paris, atmospheric canals of Venice, and the remarkable Renaissance atmosphere of Florence
- Easy Pace Italy: Discover three of Italy’s most culturally vibrant cities: immerse yourself in Rome’s rich heritage; inhale the Renaissance atmosphere of Florence; and explore life beyond the scenic canals and gondolas of Venice.
For more information, visit www.insightvacations.com.