Tropical Storm Don is set to hit the Windward Islands in the Caribbean, disrupting flights and bringing high wind and rain to the region.
“Slow strengthening is likely with Don as the system moves swiftly along to the west and crosses the Windwards,” said AccuWeather Hurricane Expert Dan Kottlowski.
Kottlowski said that Don could become a strong tropical storm with winds up to 70 mph before it weakens in the middle of the week. The storm is forecast to bring drenching rain, high winds and rough seas to the Windward Islands through Tuesday night, before bringing similar conditions to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao on Wednesday.
Regional Caribbean airline LIAT has issued a travel advisory as a result of the storm. The following flights have been cancelled for July 18:
- LI 727 from Barbados to Grenada
- LI 727 from Grenada to Trinidad
- LI 521 from Barbados to Guyana
- LI 772 from Trinidad to Grenada
- LI 772 from Grenada to Barbados
- LI 755 from Barbados to St. Vincent
- LI 756 from St. Vincent to St. Lucia
- LI 756 from St. Lucia to Barbados
- LI 726 from Trinidad to St. Vincent
- LI 726 from St. Vincent to Barbados
- LI 512 from Guyana to Barbados
- LI 737 from Barbados to St. Vincent
- LI 737 from St. Vincent to Trinidad
- LI 309 from Antigua to St. Lucia
- LI 309 from St. Lucia to Trinidad
- LI 769 from Barbados to St. Vincent
- LI 770 from St. Vincent to Barbados
- LI 738 from Trinidad to St. Vincent
- LI 307 from Barbados to Grenada
- LI 307 from Grenada to Trinidad
- LI 393 from Barbados to Guyana
LIAT said that passengers on affected flights can rebook within the next two weeks with no change fee. The airline warned that passengers who decide to travel but are unable to complete their journey due to disruption caused by weather conditions will not be provided with meals, transportation or hotel accommodation.
Keep visiting www.travelagentcentral.com for further updates to this developing story.