The American Society of Travel Advisors (ASTA) honored top travel advisors, chapters and partner organizations and suppliers during the ASTA Global Convention (AGC) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, August 25-27. The three-day convention was attended by 1,000 advisors, suppliers and industry professionals.
Travel Advisor of the Year
The top annual award for advisors is the ASTA Travel Advisor of the Year (formerly Extra Mile), sponsored again this year by Enterprise Holdings. The award recognizes the travel advisor who has gone above and beyond in the last 12 months to provide exceptional service for a client in a new and creative way, ASTA said. This year the winner is Marisel Aleman, with runners up Sylvia Longmire and Jayne Knutsen.
Individual supplier awards: Given to companies that best support the advisor community, as voted on by the ASTA membership.
- Supplier Partner of the Year: AmaWaterways
- Supplier Representative of the Year: Vicki Freed
- Airline Partner of the Year: American Airlines
- Transportation Partner of the Year: Enterprise Holdings
- GDS Partner of the Year: Sabre
- Hotel Partner of the Year: Marriott International
- Cruise Line Partner of the Year: AmaWaterways
- Tour Operator Partner of the Year: The Travel Corporation
- Travel Insurance Partner of the Year: AIG – The Travel Guard Insurance
- North American Destination Partner of the Year: The Hawaiian Islands
- International Destination Partner of the Year: Greek National Tourist Office Visitors
- Technology & Transaction Partner of the Year: Airlines Reporting Corporation
Partnership awards were also given to ASTA members, chapters and partner organizations:
- Susan D. Tanzman Inspiration Award: Jenn Lee, Travel Planners International
- Consortia Partner of the Year: Ensemble
- Host Agency of the Year: Travel Planners International
- Host Agency of the Year: Nexion Travel Group
- Chapter of the Year: Great Lakes
- Chapter on the Rise: Greater Seattle
- International Chapter of the Year: Myanmar
- International Chapter President of the Year: Kyaw Bohne Naing
ASTA's Travel Journalist of the Year was awarded to Jaime Biesiada, senior editor, Travel Weekly.